Re: Homak brand toolchests?

To: "Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing" <mikel@ichips.intel.com>,
Subject: Re: Homak brand toolchests?
From: "Steve Hammatt" <shammatt@sos.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 23:00:20 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Lee - Team Banana Racing <mikel@ichips.intel.com>
To: shop-talk@autox.team.net <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Wednesday, October 21, 1998 08:57 PM
Subject: Homak brand toolchests?

>Does anyone have any experience with Homak brand tool chests and
rollarounds?
>I've been promised a new toolbox for my birthday, and I've been
specifically
>eyeing the black/gold one that's been available at Costco for the past year
>or so.  The one at Costco comes with both the rollaround and topbox, and
they
>are the big, 40" wide jobs.  They seem to be made a fairly substantial
gauge
>metal, but do not have ball bearing slide,have bolt-on handles and the
support
>for the top is a simple strut rather than hydraulic (the color is a bit
tacky too,
>but I can live with that).

snip

Mike
I have the exact same unit, bought it last Christmas and am very pleased
with
it.  I had to have help unpacking it and setting it up.  It is not light!  I
sort of
like the color (then again I've owned yellow BMW motorcycles<G>)!
I've also noticed the lack of ball bearing slides for the drawers, but in
using
it (of course it's still like new) I've not had any problem.  I really made
sure
that all the sliding surfaces were well greased with white brake lube
grease.
Seems to keep everything sliding.  I suspect that if you keep the slides
clean
and lubed, you'll never have a problem.  If you're planning for heavy-duty
use,
I'm very much a weekend warrior, then maybe a look at a stronger unit would
be called for.  The top strut is not a problem for me, since I leave the top
up all the time anyway!
good luck.....
Steve