Re: Shipping an engine

To: ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014)
Subject: Re: Shipping an engine
From: ejrussell@sprynet.com
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 07:22:03 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, ps4330@okc01.jccbi.gov (Peter Schauss x 2014) wrote:

>I am going to be shipping the engine from my Healey (about 600+ pounds)
>within the next month.
>
>I was thinking in terms of something which would allow me to bolt
>the motor at the motor mounts on each side and the rear plate.  It
>would, most likely need to have some provision to allow it to be
>handled with a fork lift, and be strong enough to hold the weight
>of engine.
>
>Does anyone have plans for something like this and/or experience
>with shipping?

A few months ago I had a large crate to send to my brother via Delta Air Lines
(he is a mechanic for Delta and gets employee discount...). While dropping my
package off at the terminal, I saw two pallets with a V-8 motor on each
strapped
down and (clear) plastic wrapped. I didn't ask but I did assume they were
either
coming or going via air freight.

If I were shipping an engine, I'd start with a pallet, securely attach the
engine and build a plywood box to cover it.

Eric <ejrussell@sprynet.com>
Bridgewater, MA