Re: Painting fans?

To: rgibbs@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Painting fans?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 23:27:06 -0400
Roger Gibbs wrote:
> http://www.horizonweb.com/wwwboard/Spray_101/wwwboard.html
> and search a bit you will come across a description of the author's booth
>(sprays high
> end show cars).

  Will do. Can you remember a keyword or two that will
help me find it?

> You would be exposing the furnace fan motor (not explosion proof) to the
>overspray,
> potentially dangerous.

  Damn, very right. I just came full circle. I already threw away this
idea for that reason, then thought about so many other ideas, came
back to that one, and forgot that point, and it sounded good again!

> Some of the other factors to consider : your health - auto paints seem to
>range from
> mildly dangerous to outright deadly.  Some of the two part paints (Imron,
>etc) and most
> of the hardner activated paints (quite common for the clear coat of a base
>coat / clear
> coat system) release isocyinates - dangerous to breath dangerous to exposed
>skin also.  I
> don't want to sound like a nag, just make sure that you make an informed
>decision as to
> the risks you are willing to take.

  Yes definately, but thanks for the caution. Extra caution never
hurts.

  I worry, because I've already been to a few body shop supply stores
asking for "non-isocyanate clears" and they just have no idea what
I am talking about. That's scary, because if I didn't think to
ask they wouldn't think to tell me.

> f. Ask your paint supplier about using lacquer, seems to be out of vogue
>these days but
> has several important advantages for the home sprayer (easy to repair errors,
>not very
> sensitive to dust) and some disadvatages (more labor intensive, not as
>durable, needs to
> be periodically rebuffed)

  Does lacquer come in clear?

  One problem I may have with lacquer is that the car I am painting
currently has semi-fresh enamel on it. I have heard this is a hard
combination,
because the lacquer will peel the enamel.

  However, I have primer/sealer already purchased with the promise
that it will "go over anything and allow me to put anything over it",
so it's a thought.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, ICQ #17432933