Re: Painting fans?

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Painting fans?
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 07:20:25 -0400
At 03:40 AM 8/28/98 -0400, Trevor Boicey wrote:

>I just finished putting up a half-assed plastic spray
>area inside my garage. All sources seem to point to having
>an exhaust fan blowing in for painting, but how would
>I go about setting this up in a normal garage? I don't
>exactly want to spent a lot of time installing a fan
>and cutting the vinyl siding just for this.
>
>  Ideas?

Trevor,

   There are a couple of ways.

1. Cut a hole in the plastic at a window then place a box fan in it.
2. If you don't have a window, open your rear door.  Take a large piece
   of plastic and cover the door with it (tacking it to the door frame).
   then set a box fan against the plastic.  Mark the area for the box
   fan.  Cut an X in the area, fold the flaps out, push the fan in the
   whole, and tape the flaps to the box fan.
3. A friend of mine made an extension for the front of his garage out of
   PVC tubing.  He put the tubing insulation around the outter edges of
   the PVC to seal against the main garage opening.  This PVC frame was
   covered with plastic.  He cut a hole in each side of the extension
   as described in 2 above and uses 2 box fans.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

John

>  Is it possible to paint without an exhaust fan,
>even if I have to stop after every couple of panels
>to let the air settle? Or will it never settle,
>it will have to be vented?
>
>  Any tips on "sensible temporary home spray
>booths" appreciated.
>
>--
>Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
>tboicey@brit.ca, ICQ #17432933