RE: Setting up shop

To: <pjthomas@ntplx.net>
Subject: RE: Setting up shop
From: tw@mcc.com
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 12:34:45 -0500

The previous owner had buried a piece of romex making effectively a very
long extension cord to the barn. Perfectly adequate for a couple of
fluorescent lights but nothing you'd want to run a large motor on!

> I love my cordless drill.  Probably the most useful power
> tool I have.  It goes
> anywhere, including off site.  With air tools, I would have
> to also have a
> portable compressor.

I definitely agree - I have a cordless drill that I've used extensively, but
now that the batteries are about worn out, it is nearly as cheap to replace
the whole thing as to buy new batteries, but I'm waiting for NiMH batteries
before I do that - shouldn't be long, just saw an ad for a Makita or
something claiming to be the first with NiMH.

> Air power is the best choice for tools intended for only the
> workshop, but its
> still nice to have electric for some.
>
> Then again having a large portable compression and an array
> of air tools is
> going to impress the in-laws when you have be volunteered to
> fix something ;^)

My father-in-law is a blacksmith and antique tool collector - I'm more
likely to impress him with some weirdo ancient wrench picked up at a garage
sale than with air tools! Luckily he's pretty capable of fixing stuff
himself and has even bailed me out a time or two.

> > Although the hose would reach easily, I'm not sure I'd want
> to take the
> > chance of an air tool spraying a bit of oil around the kitchen! :-)
> >

> Probably not worse than the fine granite powder sprayed
> through out the house
> despite measure to control it ;^)

Maybe a nice slurry of granite powder and oil...

Tw