Re: Setting up shop

To: tw@mcc.com
Subject: Re: Setting up shop
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas@ntplx.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 13:18:32 -0400

tw@mcc.com wrote:

> Very long air hoses can be pretty cheap. I found 50' x 3/8 air hoses for
> about $9.50 each at Tractor Supply. I spliced together 4 of them as an
> extension hose so as to be able to reach my barn to use my impact wrench on
> my tractor (I have a portable compressor but no electricity in the barn). It
> worked fine.

In your case the air route was probably best.  You also reduce the risk of
electrocution.  On the other hand light in the barn would be nice.

I love my cordless drill.  Probably the most useful power tool I have.  It goes
anywhere, including off site.  With air tools, I would have to also have a
portable compressor.

Air power is the best choice for tools intended for only the workshop, but its
still nice to have electric for some.

Then again having a large portable compression and an array of air tools is
going to impress the in-laws when you have be volunteered to fix something ;^)

> Although the hose would reach easily, I'm not sure I'd want to take the
> chance of an air tool spraying a bit of oil around the kitchen! :-)

Probably not worse than the fine granite powder sprayed through out the house
despite measure to control it ;^)