Slab under existing shed?

To: "'shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net'" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Slab under existing shed?
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 12:55:09 -0700
On the back of my detached garage there's a kind of lean-to potting shed.
The shed has three walls of its own (shares the garage wall for the fourth)
its own door to the outside, and a dirt floor.  The freestanding walls are
standing on pier blocks.  I've been thinking I could use this space as
storage for extra sets of tires, and maybe I'll put my compressor there,
etc.  Before I do that, I'm thinking it might be nice to pour a slab in
there.

The books I've seen assume you're pouring the slab _before_ building
anything on top of it, so I'm wondering if there are any special
considerations I should know about.  I won't be driving or parking cars in
there, so I assume a 4" thick slab is sufficient.  I'll just build forms at
the outer edge of the walls to let the slab go under them.  Obviously, the
pier blocks will get cemented in place in the process, but that sounds like
a good idea anyway, right?  Also -- am I insane to consider mixing my own
Quikrete for a 24'x8'x4" slab?  I haven't called around yet to see how much
a real concrete truck would charge to come deliver such a small (to them)
load.  Would I pour the slab in one piece, or would doing it in 2 or 3
sections be easier?  Should I put divider board between this new slab and
the existing garage slab?

BTW -- I live near Seattle where it's rarely cold enough long enough for the
ground to really freeze.