Arsenic (Was: Cheap workbench advice wanted.)

To: "Nils O. Ny" <n.ny@intest.com>
Subject: Arsenic (Was: Cheap workbench advice wanted.)
From: Mike Frerichs <maf@radiks.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 22:48:24 -0500
The  magazine "This Old House" (companion to the PBS series) did an article on
pressure treated wood a month or two ago.  They stated that there is enough
arsenic in one 10 foot 2X6 to kill 250 adults.  However, it seems to be fairly
well 'locked' into the wood so that there is very little danger from just
coming in contact with pressure treated wood.  The largest danger seems to come
from people who, not knowing any better, burn pressure treated wood.  Arsenic
is not destroyed by fire, but is merely concentrated in the ash, and in this
form is much easier to get into your body (breathing the ash dust).

They also mentioned that there is some evidence which suggests that acidic
solutions can leach the arsenic out of pressure treated wood.  Some studies
have found that, on the east coast where the rain is more acidic, the
concentrations of arsenic in the ground underneath decks built of pressure
treated wood is much higher than normal.

Normal pressure treated wood also contains a couple of other nasties, chromium
and copper (the source of the green color).  But once again, not particularly
harmful when in the wood.

The article went on to say that there are a few companies who have come up with
other recipes for treating wood which work just as well as the arsenic
solution, but which are much less toxic.  The reason the arsenic solution is
still being used is the same reason many things are the way they are in
industry -- that's what's always been used.  And probably will be until the
public demands a less toxic version.

If you have access to this article, read it.  It's an eye opener.  As for me,
I'm going to look for the other types of pressure treated lumber or use cedar
in the future when I need rot resistant wood.

Mike Frerichs (New home owner - eagerly learning about all this stuff!)
maf@radiks.net