Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.
From: "Matt Liggett" <mliggett-receive-shop-talk@elise.kiva.net>
Date: 21 Apr 1998 03:38:50 -0000
Derek Harling wrote:
> What I don't understand is why people want "heavy duty" benches so they
> can roll engines around on them. It is much cheaper and far far far far
> far better to put the extra money inan engine stand.

I agree.  I've got an engine stand.  But my current "bench" (an old cheap
desk) is a floppy 1/2" piece of particle board that I can't even put a
head on.  I want the thing to be strong.  Frustrated by an inadequate
tool and now want to OVER-engineer.

> Also why do people want 16' long benches - unless they have several
> people in the shop (and working) at the same time. You just don't need
> that amount of space to WORK at. If you are like me (doubt it, though)
> you'll just end up using the surplus space for storage - and shelves do
> that much better.

Agreed.  I like cabinets with doors for storage, but I like a trim
appearance.  In my 20x20 garage, space is at a premium.  But, my 4'
"bench" has been restrictive, so I figured on 6'-8'.  In my case, the
2'x8' really fits the bill.  Plus, this bench will have some storage
beneath, whereas that space is wasted in my current arrangement.
--
<mml@pobox.com>                                              Matt Liggett
                                  '60 Mini, '70 Midget, '89 SAAB 900t SPG