Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.

To: Matt Liggett <mliggett-receive-shop-talk@elise.kiva.net>
Subject: Re: Cheap workbench advice wanted.
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pjthomas01@snet.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:01:32 -0400

Matt Liggett wrote:

> Peter J. Thomas wrote:
> > Build a table out out of plywood and Douglas fir and masonite for about
> > $100.
>
> Peter,
>
> I really like your idea.  I called around to the lumber yards and got a
> best quote of about $66 for the lumber.  My question is about the Douglas
> fir.  I just asked for "4x4s" and "2x6s".  If I don't specify Doug fir,
> what am I probably getting?  Does it matter what softwood I use for
> construction?

You will probably get Douglas Fir.  Most really lumber yards only carry
Douglas.  Some lumber yards do carry locally grown varieties of fir.  Douglas
is the strongest, though any will do.

Some home centers carry spruce lumber, it's less expensive but not as
strong.  It is however much lighter.  Spruce is good for small, light weight
tables that you intend on moving.

> The problem I have now is that I can't find 4x4s that are NOT
> pressure-treated.  None of the local lumber yards have 'em.

Actually, PT 4x4 for the legs might be a good idea.  I'm assuming this bench
will sit in a basement or garage on top of  a cement floor.  My garage is in
the basement the floor gets wet from time to time, either snow from the cars
or moisture after a rainy spell.  PT might be a good idea.

Anyway, most home centers and small hardware stores only carry 4x4 in
pressure treated.  Most DIY'ers only use 4x4 for decks or posts outside.  I
made a woodworking bench by laminating 2x4s for the top and 4x4 for the
legs.  None of the local Home Depots (6 of them) carried 4x4 df.  All the
local building supply lumber yards did.

Most builders just double up 2x4s for framing.  You could also take this
approach.  The design is little different.  You want the top resting on a
solid piece of wood that goes all the way to the floor.  Instead of attaching
the stretchers to the outside of the bench put them in the inside and don't
notch them.

If you do go the double 2x4 route, glue them together.  In fact, the lamented
2x4's will be stronger and more stable than a solid 4x4.  It's just a hassle
to glue and clamp them up.

The other posters recommended putting some sort of sheet metal on top.  I've
never done this, but it does sone like a really good idea.  In the short term
the masonite might be cheaper, but in the the long run the metal will be a
better solution and cheaper if you have to replace the masonite periodically.

Best of luck,

Peter Thomas