Re: Garage Door Balance

To: Jeff Guilford <jagcret@knoxnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Garage Door Balance
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:48:04 -0500
At 02:23 PM 3/22/98 -0500, you wrote:

>While installing a new garage door opener, I performed the "garage door
>balance" test called for in the instructions--and my door failed (alas, the
>ignominy).

These things are possibly the most ignorant things to adjust I've ever in my
life had to work on.  That said, what you have to do is increase the preload
on the torsion springs.  On my door, there was a collar at one end of the
spring with four 1/2" holes and a large setscrew to fix the collar to the
bar.  Your need to get a pair of bars that fit the holes, and very carefully
loosen the set screw, and rotate the collar with the bars, adding a few
rotations of preload.  the problem is that you need three, possibly four
hands to do this, and it's fairly dangerous due to the large amount of
stored energy in the spring.  Take it easy, and you'll be ok, but treat the
thing with respect!

>The door is assisted by two torsion springs attached in a concentric manner
>to a 3/4" shaft that runs parallel to the door just above the header.  Six
>inch drums are attached to the ends of this shaft (above the edges of the
>door).  The springs turn the shaft (or vice versa, depending on whether the
>door is raising or lowering), the shaft turns the drums, and the drums feed
>out or retrieve cables that connect to the bottom of the door.
>
>Does anyone know how to "balance" this type of mechanism?  I assume this
>means that I have to increase the load (or pre-load?) on the springs, but
>how do I do this--without endangering life, limb, and sanity?  And, how do
>you ensure that the two springs have approximately equal tension?

Put the door down - fully closed.  Loosen one collar, and carefully release
the tension on the spring, counting the turns.  do the same with the other,
so that you know how many turns per side.  Then re-wind them to the same
number of turns as the highest side, lock them and each side is now
balanced.  Then add turns to get the door balanced.  There's no way to
really do this without risking life and limb, but an awful lot of doors have
been installed, so it can be done.

Cheers, Brian