Re: Garage Door Balance

To: Jeff Guilford <jagcret@knoxnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Garage Door Balance
From: "Con P. Seitl" <seitl@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 01:43:41 -0800
Jeff Guilford wrote:

> Does anyone know how to "balance" this type of mechanism?  I assume this
> means that I have to increase the load (or pre-load?) on the springs, but
> how do I do this--without endangering life, limb, and sanity?  And, how do
> you ensure that the two springs have approximately equal tension?
>
> One final note:  I've had my eye on a drill press for awhile.  Anyone have
> any good ideas on how to convince my wife that I can't install the garage
> door opener without benefit of this indispensable tool?   ;^)

I'm thinking of a double wide garage door, right? Only reason it's got
two springs. The tension has to be increased a bit. Try 1/4 turn on each
spring. CAUTION! Read all about it before trying it! It  involves
slackening off the the wheel at the end of the spring, usually having
two square headed screws in it that seat on the 3/4" shaft and then
taking two bars and slowly turning it in the direction of resistance.
The bars must be in place BEFORE slackening these screws off, or you or
someone dear to you may be calling 911. It's a bit tricky, but can be
done if you sit back and look it over before trying. When you've got the
1/4 turn, retighten the screws, remove the bars and try the door. (It
must be in the down and locked position). I've done it several times
before, and each time I'm holding my breath. You may seriously consider
asking a professional to come and do it, cheaper than an iron bar
through the skull. Just watch how he does it, and you can attempt the
next adjustment yourself. Which brings me to your next point. You will
need to drill a hole into the end of both bars so that you can slip a
wire or string through them and hang them on the wall, ready for use in
another couple of years. A drill press is needed. ;-)
Good Luck!

Con Seitl