Garage Door Balance

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Garage Door Balance
From: Jeff Guilford <jagcret@knoxnews.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 14:23:40 -0500

While installing a new garage door opener, I performed the "garage door
balance" test called for in the instructions--and my door failed (alas, the
ignominy).

In the gospel according to Craftsman, a garage door is properly "balanced"
if it stays in a partially opened position (i.e., raised ~3 feet) when you
let go of it at that point.  My door, which is one of those sectional
things, will close if I let go when it's raised 3 feet.  This supposedly
means that it's "unbalanced."  Much like its owner.

The door is assisted by two torsion springs attached in a concentric manner
to a 3/4" shaft that runs parallel to the door just above the header.  Six
inch drums are attached to the ends of this shaft (above the edges of the
door).  The springs turn the shaft (or vice versa, depending on whether the
door is raising or lowering), the shaft turns the drums, and the drums feed
out or retrieve cables that connect to the bottom of the door.

Does anyone know how to "balance" this type of mechanism?  I assume this
means that I have to increase the load (or pre-load?) on the springs, but
how do I do this--without endangering life, limb, and sanity?  And, how do
you ensure that the two springs have approximately equal tension?

One final note:  I've had my eye on a drill press for awhile.  Anyone have
any good ideas on how to convince my wife that I can't install the garage
door opener without benefit of this indispensable tool?   ;^)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jeff Guilford
Knoxville, TN