Re: Garage Door Balance

To: "Jeff Guilford" <jagcret@knoxnews.infi.net>, <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Garage Door Balance
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 23:37:13 -0600
I think that you've already figured this out;  You increase the
pre-load on the springs.  On the two similar doors on my garage, you
hold the spring-securing hub by inserting a 1/2" steel rod into the
provided holes, loosen the set screws locking the hub to the shaft,
then "crank" more tension into the spring with yet another 1/2" rod:
crank, hold, crank, hold, etc.   A couple of cranks on each spring
should do it,  then, tighten the set screws. Don't worry about
perfect equalization, the 3/4 rod is solid so the lift effort will
still be equal if you're a little off.  If you make the 1/2" rods,
make them at least 12" or better,  18" long.  You're gonna have to
hold the full spring tension with one hand at a time and the spring
on a big door is pretty "torqey"!

----------
> From: Jeff Guilford <jagcret@knoxnews.infi.net>
> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Subject: Garage Door Balance
> Date: Sunday, March 22, 1998 1:23 PM
>

> While installing a new garage door opener, I performed the "garage
door
> balance" test called for in the instructions--and my door failed
(alas, the
> ignominy).
>
> In the gospel according to Craftsman, a garage door is properly
"balanced"
> if it stays in a partially opened position (i.e., raised ~3 feet)
when you
> let go of it at that point.  My door, which is one of those
sectional
> things, will close if I let go when it's raised 3 feet.  This
supposedly
> means that it's "unbalanced."  Much like its owner.
>
> The door is assisted by two torsion springs attached in a
concentric manner
> to a 3/4" shaft that runs parallel to the door just above the
header.  Six
> inch drums are attached to the ends of this shaft (above the edges
of the
> door).  The springs turn the shaft (or vice versa, depending on
whether the
> door is raising or lowering), the shaft turns the drums, and the
drums feed
> out or retrieve cables that connect to the bottom of the door.
>
> Does anyone know how to "balance" this type of mechanism?  I assume
this
> means that I have to increase the load (or pre-load?) on the
springs, but
> how do I do this--without endangering life, limb, and sanity?  And,
how do
> you ensure that the two springs have approximately equal tension?
>
> One final note:  I've had my eye on a drill press for awhile.
Anyone have