Re: Workbench Constr & shop ventilation

To: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Subject: Re: Workbench Constr & shop ventilation
From: "Con P. Seitl" <seitl@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 1998 21:32:13 -0800
Eric Murray wrote:

> This is probably a dumb question, but how does the slab stay
> stable with styrofoam under it?
>
> I've got an old barn which will be replaced with
> a shop when I get some more money.  Its concrete
> foundation was poured directly on the ground, which has
> shifted/subsided in the last 80 years.  So the
> foundation's coming apart and taking the barn with it.

Pouring concrete over styrafoam these days is pretty common practice
here. Usually done in homes, not garages. The house foundation is still
poured the same way, ie: footings and walls, and the floor is separate
from the rest. Putting the foam underneath gives a better R value. With a
4 " layer of concrete on the foam, it compesses it quite a bit. Done
correctly, it will not shift, foam being not a factor. But a concrete
slab on grade, well, if the floor is going to shift, it's because the
site wasn't properly prepared, foam or no foam.

 Its concrete
foundation was poured directly on the ground, which has
shifted/subsided in the last 80 years.

Not bad, considering the technology and building practises of those days!