Re: tablesaws

To: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: tablesaws
From: Don Bowen <donb@cts.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 08:30:24 -0700
>What are the key decision factors in buying a table saw?  Want to go with my
>recent philosophy of buying the last one first, so need to get the right
>blend of quality and price.  I'm looking at a King, 10" floor model, with
>about a 30" by 60" cast iron top, 1hp motor for $550 CDN.  Store also has
>Delta, about the same size, 3/4hp but with stamped steel top for about the
>same price.  I've heard of Delta, not King, but both saws are made in Orient
>(not japan) so quality may be similar.

Delta maintains its own Quality Control in Taiwan and its stuff from there
is better than average quality.  I have never heard of King and it is hard
to go wrong buying Delta.

You are looking at what is called a contractors saw.  The Delta is one of
the better of that type as are the better offerings from Sears.  Ryobi
makes a more complicated version and I hear a lot of good about it.  The
dream saw is the Delta Cabinet makers saw with cast enclosed base and 3 hp
motor but as nearly $2000US it is out of the reach of most of us.

I have several delta tools.  Older Delta tools are labeled Rockwell  or
Rockwell/Delta. Porter Cable is part of the same company which bought
itself out of Rockwell several years ago.  All are good tools.  I have the
Delta 6 in joiner, Delta 12 in. planer, Rockwell lathe, and Rockwell/Delta
16 in. band saw.  For a table saw I have a much used 20 year old Sears.  I
have had very good luck finding Rockwell routers in garage sales.

Don Bowen                       Senior Software Engineer
Valley Center, CA               Virtual Integrators
donb@cts.com                    Don.bowen@integrators.com

http://www.users.cts.com/crash/d/donb
http://www.integrators.com/bowens