Re: tablesaws

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tablesaws
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:05:51 -0500 (EDT)
Brian wrote:

> What are the key decision factors in buying a table saw?

Hopefully you haven't started the war which rages
constantantly in rec.woodworking.  Read that newsgroup
for more than a week and someone will ask exactly
the question you asked.  Check out the faq for the
group, or do a "table saw" search on usnet archives
and you'll find lots of reading.  (Watch the group
for awhile and you'll see your question posted -- no
need to post it yourself.)

A quick summary of what gets posted there:

1)  If you really want the best, buy a Delta Unisaw or similar
    cabinet type saw.  Expect to spend $1500US or so.

2)  Next step down is a "contractor" style saw.  Available from
    Delta or a number of imported manufacturers.  Expect to
    spend in the $500-800US range.

3)  Final step down is a bench type saw.  These are generally
    considered to be junk by those who claim to be woodworkers,
    but have their share of happy owners.  Expect to pay $70-150US.

4)  Opinions vary greatly about manufacturers.  Delta and the
    larger import companies are respected.  Some of the import
    stuff is junk.  Sears/Craftsman discussions start their
    own set of wars.

5)  As someone on shop-talk already mentioned, you can improve
    most saws by going to an aftermarket fence.  These will cost
    several hundred dollars.

6)  Plan to add some type of dust collection system if you
    want to continue healthy breathing.  That starts another
    discussion with almost as many opinions and options as
    the basic table saw issue.

Good luch with your choices.  I bought a used Grizzly brand
(one of the name-brand importers) contractor style saw this
summer for $300 (new is $375 plus shipping if I remember
correctly).  Most comments about it on rec.woodworking are
that it is a good saw except for the fence.

Thus far I haven't used it much.  It wants 17 amps for its
1.5 horse motor.  My shop vac wants 11 amps.  My basement
shop is wired for a single 15 amp circuit!  The saw seems to
survive (unless I push to hard on thick wood) but there's
no chance for the combination.  And the amount of sawdust
a table saw generates fills a small basement shop almost
immediately.  So it sits neglected for now...

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com