Re: PVC air piping

To: Eric Murray <ericm@lne.com>
Subject: Re: PVC air piping
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:25:14 PDT
>>>Eric Murray said:
 > The PVC air piping that's installed in the garage of
 > the house I'm buying is in the walls, covered up by sheetrock.
 > Does that make it safer?

I'm surprised that the home passes inspection with PVC air pipes.  If I were
buying it I'd make them rip it out.

I don't think anyone -- or at least very few people -- here is going to tell
you "Yes, your PVC air piping is OK".  Basically: no, PVC air piping is
fundamentally unsafe.  A (guessing here) 5 gallon tank and who knows how much
pipe at 100psi holds a LOT of energy.  When it all comes out a little hole
spectacular things can happen.  Bad things.

And sheetrock really isn't very strong where impact is concerned.  It is quite
easy to punch your fist through it.

Now, what would I do in your place?  I don't think I'd use it.  I'd take some
measurements, go to the hardware store, get $40 worth of black pipe and
fittings and screw it to the outside of the sheetrock.  Sure it's ugly, but
it's a garage, not your living room.  And it's safe.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center