RE: PVC air piping

To: "'Don Bowen'" <donb@cts.com>, Heather & Joe Way <sierrasa@psln.com>,
Subject: RE: PVC air piping
From: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 12:45:32 -0700
Even though I'm on the side that says schedule 40 PVC is good, I'd have
to recommend against this experiment.  Most materials, especially
plastics, prefer to handle loads that are nicely distributed.
Pressurized air exerts a bunch of pressure on a pipe, but it's evenly
spread out.  The kind of point loading you'd get from a hammer blow is
really _not_ what the pipe was designed for.  If you do find some safe
way to try the experiment, please pass along the results.

keithka
Elva 300 FJr.