Re: Cutting Brass

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cutting Brass
From: walter@omni.sps.mot.com (Thomas Walter)
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 97 08:06:58 CDT
Boy lots of feeback on this one!

Sorry -- first time I missed that he was cutting TUBING.
I was thinking of a 2" solid bar.

Ya, tubing cutter is the best.

I got a couple of people asking why I did not recommend
using a chop saw on brass... uh, they work great on
steel but with aluminum, or brass you just clog up
the cutting disc. It will make it though, but produces
a "melted edge" of what you are cutting. [Is anyone
aware of a 14" cut off blade for Aluminum/Brass? ]

Anyone have a good source of Brass Rod? Need some 4"
diameter brass rod, but only in short sections (i.e. 4").
Making up some little flywheels for a project.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.

P.S.  I did order the "DC motor for a treadwheel"
(0 to 5000 rpm, 1hp.) from American Surplus for the
"distributor machine". I'll post a follow up when
it arrives, and details on what I am up to.