Torch or MIG

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Torch or MIG
From: "Douglas E. Shook" <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 13:36:39 -0400
Hi, I'm brand new to this group, and I know you must have had this
discussion a million times, but I need some very basic advice on what I
should do regarding welding.

I have mostly old English (Triumph) cars and bikes (BSA), and an old
Ford Van.  I really need to do some basic welding (body work on the van,
fabrication stuff for the bikes, etc.).

I looked at a Lincoln SP-170T wire feed, but I really don't have any
practical experience on whether it would be a good investment for me,
maybe I should go the torch route, maybe the Lincoln is not an
appropriate welder for my shop, etc.

Again, if you have discussed this a million times and are sick of it,
maybe one of you would be kind enough to send me a personal email
(dshook@usc.edu) on it.

I read through much of the shop talk archives I could find and did not
see this discussed.  I also looked at Garnett's very helpful
introduction to welding processes (thank you Roger).

I am willing to buy both a torch and a MIG, if it makes sense, but would
like to benefit from your experience before making a mistake.

Thank you very much.

doug shook