Re: Torch or MIG

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Torch or MIG
From: "Douglas E. Shook" <dshook@usc.edu>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 08:33:35 -0400
Ed,

Thanks for the advice/info.  Cutting steel (thick steel) is not an issue
for me, and ease of welding (lack of skill?) is probably the biggest
issue for me. I'll take your advice and buy a MIG.

I only have 30 amp 230 volt service in my shop (like a moron, I went
cheap on wire and only buried 10awg), so with a 6hp compressor, a bunch
of shop lights, grinder, drill press, small fridge, etc., the Lincoln
SP-170T looks good to me.  It only requires 20 amps input, and according
to the tech sheet I got, is rated at 130 amp at 30% cycle (rated 170 amp
maximum). I guess that makes it about 57% efficient.

One reason why I asked for input, is that it seems anytime I try to save
money (e.g., the 10 gauge wire), it comes back to haunt me.

I won't even tell you that I used schedule 40 PVC to run all my air
lines.  They are, however, for the most part, anyway, behind plywood,
peg board or in someway protected from impact and I am protected from a
PVC "fur coat."  I did this long before I read the archives on iron vs.
PVC air lines.

See why I'm asking about the welder?

Thanks again,

doug shook