Re: Fiberglass Paint Removal

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fiberglass Paint Removal
From: GGORMAN@dsava.com (Gorman, George)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 13:44 EST
Bill:

I've stripped paint off fiberglass parts in my TiP bead blast cabinet using
standard glass beads.  Seemed to work fine but I had to play with the pressure
a lot to balance paint removal with fiberglass removal (I think about 60-70 psi
was about right).  Not all the paint came off however.  I guess some got
absorbed into the 'glas due to poor prep prior to putting on the original paint
(not by me of course).  After I got most of the paint off by blasting, I used
my tried and true sander to smooth everything out then prepped and painted.  I
recall lots of rubbing and sweat.  Four coats of paint may be tough to remove
though!!!  Courage.....

George Gorman
'61 TBird (in boxes)
'81 Mustang (running)