Re: Paint

To: Elan26@aol.com
Subject: Re: Paint
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 12:20:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 26 Jun 1996 Elan26@aol.com wrote:

> Shop Talkers:
>
> Last year I moved from So. California to the really, really rainy Pacific
> N.W.  During the winter, in some sort of fit of tidiness, I covered my tow
> vehicle with a nice blue tarp to protect it from the rain.  By the end of the
> winter my clever idea had managed to bake a bunch of paint off the top of my
> truck.  Duh!
> So now, I have a rustier truck with large patches of bare metal some of which
> is rusty, some of which is just bare. The local paint shop estimates the job
> at over $3,000.  I'm searching for other solutions.
>
> The following have been suggested so far:
> After sanding all rust areas with a wire wheel I should:
>
> 1.  Spray Extend or Rustmort on the still-rusty areas to neutralize the
> oxydation

These things do not work.  The rust will come back through the paint.

> then
> 2.  Paint bare/rusted places with Rust-oleum metal primer.
> or
> 3.  Don't paint with Rust-Oleum metal primer because it has a fish-oil base
> incompatible with auto paint (in case I have a 'real' paint job done later)
> and besides won't protect against moisture.

Few primers are really water proof.  Rustoleum used to have a fish oil
base, maybe still does.  It sticks pretty well.  I have seen auto enamel
painted over rustoleum primer; the trick is to give it several weeks to
dry.  I don't think primer alone will provide protection, though.  You
would have to put some sort of finish coat over it to seal it.

> instead
> 4.  Paint with a heavy duty product called Zero-Rust which both stops
> oxydation and provides a primer base. (and costs a bunch).

Never heard of it.

If it were mine and worth much, I would bite the bullet and have it fixed
now by a body shop.  If finances dictate that you wait, or if it is pretty
battered now, then rustoleum red primer followed per instructions by
whatever rustoleum top coat is closest to your truck color should hold it
for a while.  If you decide to have a real paint job, it would be best to
have them remove this paint and the rust.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910