Re: Grand Tool: Bead blaster

To: "Jack L. Poller" <poller@netscape.com>,
Subject: Re: Grand Tool: Bead blaster
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 21:19:18 -0400
At 06:42 AM 6/17/96 -0700, Jack L. Poller wrote:

>thomas walter x5955 wrote:
>> Small bench top model, with an interior size of
>> 14"H x 22" W x 18" deep. Just right to sit on
>> a bench, and not take up too much room. Cyclone
>> brand, also comes with the 5cfm conversion kit..
>> lighted, and vac included... all for $125.00
>
>Harbor Freight has the same thing.  Roughly
>same dimensions.  Comes with a light inside.  Also,
>the cover has a "safety" switch built in, preventing
>air supply from reaching interior until cover is
>latched down.  Probably 1/8" plexiglass top cover.

I have the Harbor Freight one and love it.  Been using it for about
2 years.  I've been using sand in mine.  Thought about trying one
of the other blast materials but haven't bothered yet.

However, IMHO there is one problem with the unit.  There is nothing
to keep the sand pick up tube in the bottom of the hopper.  When I
first got the unit, I let in a couple of duct apes and hoped they
would hold it down.  They did for a while.  But I guess they got tired cause
the pick up tube keeps floating to the top.  I was going
to modify the box and put in a PVC pipe into the bottom and back into
the top of the box for sand pickup.  However, they other day, when
describing this to someone else, it dawned on me, just cut a couple
of strips of metal and make some Us and pop rivit them to the box to
hold the pipe in place.  Next time I get the cabnet out, I'll do it.
Right now, it is a nother 2 feet of storage area.  All kinds of stuff
on top of it.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire