Re: Grand Tool: Bead blaster

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Grand Tool: Bead blaster
From: "R.M. Bownes III" <bownes@emi.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 22:07:57 -0400 (EDT)

I dunno, a friend of mine got the 'build-your-own-blasing-cabinet' kit from
somewhere about 3 years ago for about the same price. A sheet of plywood
and a 2'x3' hunk of expanded steel later, we had built a blasing cabinet
big enough to put decent sized parts in. The problem I always have with
the little bench-top units is that I want to blast something 0.25" larger
than the cabinet.

This one is big enough to hold just about anything I've ever needed to
beadblast save the frame to my GT6...

Like I said, as I recall, the kit was about $130, including the gun, the
window, the hose, the foot operated pedal, the trap door for the bottom,
40 lbs of bead, and the gloves.

Sand works well, but for different jobs, you really do want different
material. For aluminum, you usually want to use walnut shell, while for
steel, you want sand, and for cast irin, you want silica bead. And different
sizes for different jobs. It's a genuine science, it is.

Bob Bownes
Internet Services Product Manager
EMI Communications      22 Computer Drive W. Albany N.Y. 12205
bownes@emi.com          518-458-1102
"The Last Mile is frequently unpaved" - rmb, June 1996.