Re: Shop heaters

To: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>,
Subject: Re: Shop heaters
From: "Burstein, Wayne M." <BURSTEIN@genicom.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 96 15:08:00 EST
I recently put a heater in my garage (19'x20').  I was
planning on putting in a fairly expensive gas heater
that would have required venting exhaust to the
outside.

While perusing the aisles at Home Depot, I noticed
a 4kw 220V electrical heater that draws less than
20A.  I jury rigged it into my main panel to see
how well it would work -- I figured that even it I
returned it, it would help me determine how big
a gas heater that I would need.  It didn't work
very well sitting on the floor, but I decided to keep
it because it was so cheap (<$200).  After mounting
it near the ceiling, I was surprised to find that it
does a reasonable job of heating the garage.

It takes about 10-15 minutes to get the space
up to about 60 degrees when the outside
temperature is below 30.  The only minus I have
noticed is that if the slab is cold and both bays
have cars in them, the floor level stays pretty
cool.  And, I haven't seen the electric bill yet....

All in all, this was a good solution for me -- I
live near Washington, DC.

Wayne Burstein
wburstein@genicom.com