RE: Shop heaters

To: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Shop heaters
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@media.philips.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 15:21:20 PST
I have two garages, one 24x24 and one 17x46.  I have an Empire DV55 and DV60
(they changed the model number), one in each.  These are propane fuel upright
gas
heaters that mount against an outside wall, and directly vent through the wall,
no
routing exhaust up a chimney or anything required.  It's the kind of heater
designed to
fit between studs, though mine are surface mounted.  They also make natural gas
models.  These are fantastic heaters.  They rapidly and effectively bring up
the
temperature for an intermittently used space.

>-- not a fire hazard

The combustion chamber is completely closed...  outside air comes in for
combustion
and exhaust is returned to outside.

>-- heat the place up fast

They are quite fast.  The 55 and 60 in the model numbers is the BTU output
(x1000).

>-- quiet

Well, there is the sound of a fan blowing.  For a workshop I don't find this
objectionable.
 I wouldn't want one in my bedroom, though.

>-- efficient

I believe they are pretty good, but I don't really know how to quantify this...
 For
intermittent use I'm not sure how important this really is anyway.

>-- affordable

I don't remember exactly...  I believe they were over $500 each.  I bought them
a couple
of years apart.  I can check if you really want to know.  Companies around here
have
them on "special" sometimes.

>Any suggestions of brands, models, prices, where to get them?

I bought mine through a propane gas company.  I would call Empire directly and
ask
them for a referral.  They were very helpful when I was evaluating
alternatives.  I can
find a phone number if you're interested.

Steve Trovato
Putnam Valley, New York.
(Northern Suburb of NYC, so you have an idea of the climate)
trovato@media.philips.com