Re: Shop floors, was Re: Shop heaters

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shop floors, was Re: Shop heaters
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@media.philips.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 96 16:53:14 PST
>If you have a garage/shop that is not going to be used to park wet cars...

Since you mentioned it, I have a big problem with this.  My garage floor seems
to be
"randomly" pitched.  When I park a wet car in the garage, water runs toward the
sheetrock wall and door to the rest of the house.  I end up with a nice puddle
at the
bottom of my stairs.  This problem is more severe when it's snowy.  I don't
pull the car in
the garage with a foot of snow on the roof, but the undercarriage can harbor an
amazing amount of ice and slush.  I have considered either  cutting a groove
into the
cement or adding a piece of something to act as a sort of dam or channel.  Of
course, I
don't want to be tripping on something, and I like to be able to roll jacks and
such
around.  Anyone have any ideas?  Leaving the car outside when wet or snowy is,
as you
might expect, "spousally"  impossible.

>In the past, I have used an even simpler solution; when I replace the
>carpet in the house I cut the old carpet into easily handled strips.  I
>roll as much as I need out out in my working area in the garage.
>Eventually, it gets monumentally grungy, but in the meantime I am
>comfortable.

Be careful with this...  Oil soaked...  or even clean carpet can be a fire
hazard.  This is
especially true when parking a catalytic converter equipped car over it.  I've
heard
stories of these setting carpets on fire.  Burns up your car, shop, house...
could ruin
your whole day.

Steve Trovato
trovato@media.philips.com