RE: Shop floors, was Re: Shop heaters

To: Keith Kaplan <keithka@microsoft.com>
Subject: RE: Shop floors, was Re: Shop heaters
From: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 13:01:59 -0600 (CST)
On Friday, 26 Jan 1996, Keith Kaplan wrote:

> Laying underneath a car, having the floor warm would be very nice.  It
> seems to me, though, that it would take many hours to heat up a cold
> slab of concrete, so a heated floor wouldn't give me something I can
> kick on to heat the place in 15 minutes.

Right.  Not the application we are suggesting.  We are talking about a
full-time, dedicated, work on the autox car all winter, shop.  Insulate it
well and keep it heated to 50 degrees all the time.  This yo-yo
temperature deal just does not cut it here in the land of real cold.
Waving a 20-below-Fahrenheit ratchet handle in front of a salamander
so said implement won't freeze to your fingers gets real old.  The real
thing it causes is that I can't just pop out to the shop for an hour
or three after dinner to tinker.  Since it is a production to work in the
garage when it is cold, I don't get nearly the work it deserves done on my
car in the off-season.

For occasional use, especially in moderate climes like yours, powerful
spot heating devices make sense, even if the cost per BTU is much higher.