Re: Rere: Parts Cleaners

To: Lowell Foo <lowell@express.ca>
Subject: Re: Rere: Parts Cleaners
From: Gary G Goodlund <garyg@crl.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 16:33:16 -0800 (PST)
This thread has been meandering along for awhile so I checked with a
friend who is a chemist and asked about this "NaOH" that was originally
proposed as an effective cleaning solvent in a parts tank.  He says this
is a Sodium Hydroxide which is a strong base.  The ph scale goes from, I
believe, 1 to about 15.  NaOH is about 12-14 so don't get it on your
skin. Few things are completely impervious to it other than glass.
Stainless steel isn't bad but the alloys in mild steel will be etched at
the least.  We've already heard how it works on aluminium. It simply
"goes away!!"

All this adds up to the fact that this stuff, while obviously effective,
is an awfully toxic soup to use casually.

Gary Goodlund  garyg@crl.com
Sebastopol, CA