RE: floor paint

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: floor paint
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 10:05:53 -0700
    From: "Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu" <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>

>My local paint supplier tells me that I shouldn't even bother,
>because the tires will tend to pull up the paint.

He's only partly right - I just used regular Sherwin-Williams deck paint,
but the real trick is (just like painting a car) in the surface
preparation.  I wrote a longer description of the whole process for the
british-cars list a year or so ago - if anyone's interested send me a note
and I'll forward a copy to you.  The gist of it is: 1. every speck of oil
and grease removed.  2. Preparing the surface with an HCl solution.

On my cheap job there are only a couple of quarter-sized spots where the
tires pulled it up; the benefits of having the rest of the floor painted
are well worth it. The epoxies are supposedly *much* better. The Grassroots
Motorsports articles describe the process for them very well.

-Lee D.

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
 daniels@tamu.edu            (409) 845-3726          Fax (409) 845-9351
 '74 TR6  '77 MGB