RE: [oletrucks] Brake Pedal

To: "Carl & Becky Ham" <the_hams@hotmail.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Brake Pedal
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 07:56:57 -0500
I've removed mine using this procedure:

1.      Loosen the nut holding the round rod pedal
        to the lever enough that the threads are not
        exposed.  1/2" (instead of 3/8") drive
        ratchets and extensions work better in later
        steps.
2.      Place a wooden block between the lever and
        the underside of the floorboard as close to
        the rod as you can get it.  Make sure that
        the block holds the brake pedal down from
        it's fully retracted position.  The purpose
        of the block is to absorb the force of
        hammer blows.
3.      Place another nut or two of similar size to
        the one loosened in step 1 into the socket
        used so that the open end of the socket
        can't touch the lever.
4.      Put enough extensions (takes 2 12" extensions
        in the case of my 57 GMC V8) to be able to
        hit with a hammer.
5.      Smack it hard.  One solid hit should do the
        job.
6.      Remove the nut and take out the pedal and rod.

I don't know how you are going to shorten the rod.