Re: [oletrucks] What is Medium Duty?

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] What is Medium Duty?
From: "mike" <m1a20@iname.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:22:19 -0600
Justin,

  here is a link to the vin decoder on my series of truck.  Medium Duty 1948
Chevrolet Thriftmaster 3800 (1-ton).  it will list from 6700 to 8800.
http://www.americanclassic.com/paint.htm?p1=vin .  if you do not get the
info page, type in the VIN line "1fs"  that is enough to get you the general
info for a 1948 1 ton 3800 series.

a couple of pictures on my site of my springs:
  Front:
http://m1a20-host53.dsl.visi.com/Truck/images/UnderFrontSuspension-1.jpg
  Rear: http://m1a20-host53.dsl.visi.com/Truck/images/UnderRearEndRear-1.jpg
More pictures are available to look through on my Truck page listed below.

  to get 8800, at least from the manuals I have seen, takes certain springs,
brakes, and higher ply tires (I would think that dual rear wheels would also
add to this.  my truck has painted on the door 9,000 GVW, which is most
likely just to make it look more tough and is really 8800.  but I have
probably 8 or 9 leaves in the main rear spring and another 6 or 7 in an
auxiliary spring.  I would say the travel in the rear is about 10 inches if
you could weigh it down enough.  it is also very stiff.

  hope this helps a bit for information.  but I would suggest a copy of your
year's truck shop manual.  it gives lots of this information in the first
few sections.  also possibly search the archives for the phone number to get
your free classic Chevrolet restoration kit from Chevrolet.  others might
know the phone number as well.  it has been on the list before many times in
the passed few years.

Mike