Re: [oletrucks] Hitch on a AD truck

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Hitch on a AD truck
From: SHAWN & JO <YOOPERWANNABE@PRODIGY.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:55:48 -0400
> Good question - I am making a custom hitch now and have only seen one that
> looked like original equipment - try to imagine this...
>
> 1/4 inch thick flat bar about 3" wide that is bolted to the square hole below
> the middle of the tailgate.  It runs straigt to the middle of the bumper
> where it is bolted (one bolt) then it dives under the bumper and shoots out
> the back with a ball.  Looks pretty simple, but may not be strong enough for
> hauling a yard of concrete.  For general purpose light hauling though, it may
> be OK, but I am making one that is bolted to the frame (removeable) and runs
> behind the bumper so you don't see the mass of the thing.
>
> Here's a couple things to remember if you make one:
>     1) Try to keep it away from the spare tire slide (if you have one)
>     2) Make sure the ball is close enough to the bumper (and low) so if you
> open the
>         tailgate without the chains, the tailgate doesn't slam into the ball.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Tom
> '49 3100/5
        I would be leary of this setup. I have a very similar set up on my 1ton
except it is welded to the frame under the truck and double bolted to
the bumper.
        The part I would be concerned about is the thickness of the bar stock.
Mine is 5/8 of an inch thick & 2 inches wide and it has a rating of
2,000lbs. stamped right into the metal bar. A 1/4 inch bar would be
EXTREMELY flimsy for towing ANY kind of weight. The twisting forces on
the ball alone will probably destroy such a thin strip of metal. My
.02.....
shawn
51 chevy 1ton panel