Re: [Nobbc] FW: [TR] What cost to give up your Triumph?

To: "North Bay British Car Club" <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] FW: [TR] What cost to give up your Triumph?
From: "Mike Gianandrea" <mvg1@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:51:47 -0700
Deano and others,

As most of you would probably agree, old car buffs, enthusiasts, LBC lovers,
etc., our cars are a part of us, not just cars, like children and pets they
are parts of our lives and personal history, and for most of us, unlikely to
go away, for whatever reason. Since the age of 18, when I bought my first
car, a somewhat ratty bugeyed sprite that I fixed up, and and that lead to
my first Jag (59 MK I sedan), to the many other Sprites, Triumphs, Jags,
Austin Mini, so many I can't remember them all, but many I wish I had back
now. I was extremely fortunate early on, in that I ran my father's
manufacturing business, where I had a full machine shop, fiber glass shop,
paint shop, and space to store and work on my toys. I have fixed,
straightened, welded, turned parts for all of them, painted most of them,
some more than a couple of times, as scratches and dents were un-tolerable,
and I had the resources to maintain them and keep them beautiful.

I left the company in 1982, and have been self employed since. As some you
can appreciate, being self employed can be very difficult at times, such as
now, in this economy, having a manufacturing business in Sonoma Co. is
extremey challenging, physically and financially, and some very difficult
decisions have to be made, such as do I sell this or that. I found myself in
a similar situation in 1994, facing very difficult times, no money, not
enough business, I had a house to pay for, a wife and young kids to feed,
and after years of people literally walking up to my front door asking to
buy my Triumph, the time and situation had come, I had to sell my beloved TR
4, I WAS CRUSHED. Life went on, and 3 years later, the young man that bought
my baby committed suicide, and long story short, MY TR4 came back to me, on
very shakey terms, but she is back. My kids are older now, one going off to
college, the wife has a job for now, and I continue to face many
difficulties. My car collection has dwindled to a Camaro, a GMC Yukon, and
MY TR, and as I have told my wife many times, never ask me to choose between
her and my business, or MY TR. For what it's worth, the beauty and design of
cars in general, but in particular old cars, the things we don't see
anymore, leather door straps, side curtains, no computers, a vehicle you can
touch, carress, work on and love, hold an allure that cannot be replaced. I
don't care how much gas ever costs, or even if there is gas or not, I will
never sell MY TR again. Hard times or good, pretty or beat up, no matter
what the wifes says, MY TR is mine untill I die.

Michael
64 TR4