Re: [Nobbc] FW: [TR] What cost to give up your Triumph?

To: North Bay British Car Club <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] FW: [TR] What cost to give up your Triumph?
From: Mark Darley <markdarley@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:47:33 -0700
Dean,

Both sides of the argument are relevant, but less than 20 miles to the
gallon is hard to defend even in America.  However in my case I find
my MGA gets better mileage between Mill Valley and Inverness than my
Audi Quattro.  The big difference is the oil consumption!

As the Gulf gets drenched in oil I have the occassional twinge of
guilt as I pour another quart of oil into the top of my engine that I
know will be going out the bottom and into the air.   Of course the
"right thing to do" is for me to minimize my oil consumption, and that
will be my winter project.  (My first winter owning the car, this last
one, was spent just getting it running and replacing all the rubber).

In the meantime, like you, I get enormous pleasure driving a vehicle
that has been "recyled" since 1957, which may be the most responsible
thing we do.   Steel production is one of the most environmentally
costly raw materials to produce, and my car is entirely the original
British steel (with a little aluminium, and some marine ply etc.).
How many other consumer products have you kept out of the landfill for
that long?

My "penny for your thoughts".
Mark

Mark Darley