newsletters

Introduction

To: newsletters@autox.team.net
Subject: Introduction
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 17:27:25 -0400
Hello all,

My name is John T. Blair and I live in Virginia Beach, Va. (USA)  I've just
taken over publishing "The Brickline" the quarterly magazine for Bricklin
International.

If anyone is interested, I also maintain 2 web pages:

  Morgan   - http://www.team.net/www/morgan
  Bricklin - http://129.189.4.248

I've never done anything like this before.  I'm going to be using Page Maker
and Photo Shop for the typesetting of the magazine.  Currently our printer
and mailer are in California.

Once the magazine is layed out, I will transfer the data to the printer via
a removable ZIP drive diskett.

Don't quite know how it is all going to work.

As to the printing costs, we have a color front and back page, the rest
of the photos are B&W.  The magazine is about 26 - 8 1/2 x 11" pages
on 70# semi gloss paper.  We also have a cover page to protect the magazine
that the address lables go on.  From what I've been told by the last
publisher, we print about 700 copies and our printing cost is between
$1,700 and $2,500 per issue!

Look forward to hearing more from you all.  I'll need all the help I can
get.  I still haven't figured out how to use (import an RTF) file into
Page Maker.  I'm going to get a "tutor" to help me do the layout of the
1st issue (due out in Oct) and see what happens.

I'm interested in hearing how you manage to get articles to print.  Also
what types of items do you print.  BI is a "National" club with members
all over the US and Canada.  The fellows in the outlying areas want to see
a lot of tech. type stuff.  While the people that go to the meets want to
see themselves and their cars pictures in the magazine.

I'm going to offer to print a color picture of a person and their car on the
back cover of the mag. based on inputting of articles.  Haven't quantified
this yet.  I'm leaning towards a requirement of 4 printed pages, not
necessarily in one issue.  That way I'm hoping to get 2 or 3 articles from
various people.  Anyone done anything like this?

Hope to see more traffic on this list in the future.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire