Re: the twink

To: "Stuart J. Ross" <stuross@tempest.nac.net>,
Subject: Re: the twink
From: "David P. Crandall" <davidc@netwrk.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 14:19:06 -0400
OK, at the risk of provoking another protracted discussion, let's join w/
the larger question - What makes a Morgan a Morgan?  In my admittedly
faulty memory, the last time this issue almost led to blows was around one
of John Sheally's cars and an MCCDC event.  At the end of the day, that
debate resolved that as long as it had the sliding pillar front suspension,
it qualified as a Morgan.  Now, the exterior of the car was unmistakeably a
Morgan.  We know Morgans have had a number of engines in their lifetime
[none of their own as Graeme noted], that very few parts are made inhouse
(e.g., the spindles, interiors, etc.), that there have been plenty of
aluminum and even fiberglas bodied cars built, and so on.  Thus, the debate
devolves to the indefatigable front suspension; at least it did then.

Note that Big Blue, which I had the pleasure of sitting in when it visited
Florida last year, has only the general exterior appearance [including its
little BMWesque grill) of the Morgans we love - a radically new chassis and
suspension, Rover/Chevy/BMW? engine, fiberglas panels, giant wheels.  Oh
yes, the timeless script legend is present.  For me, who feels that width
has overpowered aesthetic proportion, the definition of a "true" Morgan has
already been stretched well beyond reasonable limits.  Indeed, the question
"So what makes this a Morgan anyway?" evoked the answer "Well, it came out
of the Morgan factory!" from a highly placed quasi-official representative
of the team.  As has been noted, many previous changes came from such
developmental testing on the track, so that some day [likelyl not this
millenium], we may see demise of the ol' sliding pillar.  Meantime, you can
place your order for one of Big Blue's brethren if you've got a spare
$100K!  So, instead of lamenting, what do you think about a Centennial
Celebration Birthday Party in honor of this durable innovation?

David Crandall  66 4/4, 63 DHC, 66 Volvo 122S
Rowley Massachusetts