Manx Classic, Raffle Midget, Engine Swaps

Subject: Manx Classic, Raffle Midget, Engine Swaps
From: Colin Cobb <cobmeister@zianet.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 11:42:01 -0600
Hey Gang,

There is a great web site with a ton of great action photos from the
Isle of Man Classic (The Manx Classic) sports car races. There are
some action shots of Morgans racing.  One nice feature is that the
photos are captioned as to driver and car.

http://www.isle-of-man.com/sport/classic/index.htm

If any of you are interested in acquiring a significantly lesser breed
of LBC, there is still time to buy tickets on the '75 MG Midget our
local British car club is raffling off.

This is a very nice Midget with good interior, all working electrics
(including the original radio) and about 38K miles. The engine is
currently being rebuilt and is due to be reinstalled next weekend.

You can see a photo at
http://members.aol.com/cobmeister/BMCSNMphotos.html#TOP

1 ticket for $5, 5 tickets for $20, and 10 Tickets for $35.

The drawing is to be held during the Las Cruces Air Fair on October
18, 1998.  A maximum of only 2,500 tickets will be sold and at this
time less than 1000 tickets have been sold.  The odds are considerably
better than the state lottery...

I am somewhat surprised by the current list debate over when a Morgan
is no longer a Morgan.  To my mind, a Morgan is not defined by the
engine any more than it is defined by the air bladders or lack of a
radio.  A Morgan with a Lotus engine, or a 289 Ford (a la Fred
Sissons' car), or a BMW engine or whatever is still a Morgan, just not
an original Morgan.

I think it is nice if, when folks "improve" the breed, they try to
maintain the marque's character by at least sticking to small blocks,
but in the final analysis, it is different strokes for different
folks.  The unfortunate fact is, however, that many shade tree engine
swaps are botched from the word go.  Engines are used which are so
heavy they totally screw up the steering and ride (God knows the
Morgan has a significant comcern in that area anyway) and so forth.

Peace!

--Colin Cobb, Las Cruces, NM, USA
'66 Morgan Plus 4 & '67 Sunbeam Alpine & '65 Sunbeam Tiger