mgs

Re: [Mgs] Sunday morning, a bit OT

To: "Rick" <rolindsay@yahoo.com>, "Hans Duinhoven" <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Sunday morning, a bit OT
From: PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 08:41:31 +0100 v7BNVS3KgRA0EpA/zdMRYgv1Mj2fO48egdyXWXORqXmzeq6YHM3m9HNzdotzD2NnV3m7EA5Dw8DZX2ypUVXG0veX+/+XK+V5n0GAmLen48VicaPvJDJUBuB4
Cc: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>

--===============4152203726471256441==
        boundary="----=_NextPart_000_006E_01D57CEB.04E2D130"

------=_NextPart_000_006E_01D57CEB.04E2D130
        charset="utf-8"

Fortunately the UK still has 5% max ethanol in both standard and high =
octanes.  There is 'moral' pressure from some quarters on the Government =
to increase it to 10% max but suppliers can meet their legal =
requirements purely with bio diesel, and don't want to be the first to =
go to 10% and get bad publicity from complaints.  If the move against =
diesel gathers pace that may force their hands.

The main problem with fuel hoses and everything else rubber here is the =
quality of the rubber itself.  I've always (30 years) run the roadster =
on high octane but the V8 (24 years) always on standard which has had =
ethanol at 5% max for 20 years now.  While 98 octane may not have =
contained ethanol originally, suppliers tended to be cagey when asked =
directly, and others indicated that it varied according to where in the =
UK you bought it.  Four years ago I decided to replace the V8 pump hoses =
as the braiding was crumbling when it came to me so they were probably =
original - but as far as the rubber goes the old ones were in perfect =
condition.  I even slit a piece lengthwise and opened it out but there =
wasn't a trace of cracking.  When I first got the V8 it didn't have any =
carb overflow hoses so I installed them, and they have had to be =
replaced since from severe cracking - and they don't even carry liquid =
fuel, only vapour.  I fitted non-braided so I can keep an eye on the =
external condition at least, but I have no doubt they won't last =
anywhere near as long as the originals.

If standard here goes up to 10% - fortunately pumps are now required to =
be labelled clearly on the pump as well as the nozzle itself - I'll run =
the V8 on high octane as well, as that has been designated 'petrol =
protection grade' for older vehicles for the foreseeable future.

PaulH.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  Last week 95 octane fuel has to be 10% bio-ethanol, which makes even =
post-modern cars vulnerable for this nasty fuel additive.
    So I=E2=80=99ll change the type of fuel for my mopeds to a special =
one. The BGT will get the 98 octane fuel, which contains 5% bio-ethanol.

------=_NextPart_000_006E_01D57CEB.04E2D130
        charset="utf-8"

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Fortunately the UK still has 5% max ethanol&nbsp;in =
both=20
standard and high octanes.&nbsp; There is 'moral' pressure from some =
quarters on=20
the Government to increase it to 10% max but suppliers can meet their =
legal=20
requirements purely with bio diesel, and&nbsp;don't want to be the first =
to go=20
to 10% and get bad publicity from complaints.&nbsp; If the move against =
diesel=20
gathers pace that may force their hands.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The main problem with fuel hoses and everything else =
rubber=20
here is the quality of the rubber itself.&nbsp; </FONT><FONT =
size=3D2>I've always=20
(30 years) run the roadster on high octane but the V8 (24 years) always =
on=20
standard which has&nbsp;had ethanol at 5% max for 20 years now.&nbsp; =
While 98=20
octane may not have contained ethanol originally, suppliers tended to be =
cagey=20
when asked directly, and others indicated that it varied according to =
where in=20
the UK you bought it.&nbsp; Four years ago I decided to replace the V8 =
pump=20
hoses as the braiding was crumbling when it came to me so they were =
probably=20
original&nbsp;-&nbsp;but as far as the rubber goes the old ones were in =
perfect=20
condition.&nbsp; I even slit a piece lengthwise and opened it out but =
there=20
wasn't a trace of cracking.&nbsp; When I first got the V8 it didn't have =
any=20
carb overflow hoses so I installed them, and they have had to be =
replaced since=20
from severe cracking - and they don't even carry liquid fuel, only =
vapour.&nbsp;=20
I fitted non-braided so I can keep an eye on the external condition at =
least,=20
but I have no doubt they won't last anywhere near as long as the=20
originals.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If standard here goes up to 10% - fortunately pumps =
are now=20
required to be labelled clearly on the pump as well as the nozzle itself =
- I'll=20
run the V8 on high octane as well, as that has been designated 'petrol=20
protection grade' for older vehicles for the foreseeable =
future.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PaulH.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial; BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: =
black"><SPAN=20
  style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'calibri' , 'sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; =
FONT-SIZE: 11pt">Last=20
  week 95 octane fuel has to be 10% bio-ethanol, which makes even =
post-modern=20
  cars vulnerable for this nasty fuel additive.</SPAN></DIV>
  <DIV class=3Dgmail_extra>
  <DIV class=3Dgmail_quote>
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #ccc 1px solid; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0px 0.8ex; =
PADDING-LEFT: 1ex"=20
  class=3Dquote>
    <DIV>
    <DIV>
    <P><SPAN=20
    style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: 'calibri' , 'sans-serif'; COLOR: #1f497d; =
FONT-SIZE: 11pt">So=20
    I=E2=80=99ll change the type of fuel for my mopeds to a special one. =
The BGT will=20
    get the 98 octane fuel, which contains 5%=20
  =
bio-ethanol.</SPAN></P></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>=
</BODY></HTML>