mgs

Re: [Mgs] Sunday morning, a bit OT

To: PaulHunt73 <paulhunt73@virginmedia.com>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Sunday morning, a bit OT
From: Richard Lindsay via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 07:46:28 -0500
Cc: Hans Duinhoven <h.duinhoven@planet.nl>, MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>

--0000000000006d93760594517182

Hello friends,
   Straight ethanol has an equivalent octane rating of 113, so mixing it
with petrol increases the mixture's octane value. Of course, the quoted
value on the pump already takes this into account. Beyond that gem of
useless knowledge, I'm close to lost.
   Petrol is a mixture of hydrocarbons. We all know that. And Wikipedia can
probably list them all in volume fraction order. But what is added today to
increase the 87 octane value, other than ethanol? It used to be TEL, or
tetraethyllead, but those days are long gone. The skeptical and distrusting
scientist in me wants to believe that petrol manufacturers are using the
ethanol content to elevate the effective octane rating thereby saving the
other octane boosting stuff, whatever it is.

Rick

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, 3:11 AM PaulHunt73 via Mgs <mgs@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Fortunately the UK still has 5% max ethanol in both standard and high
> octanes.  There is 'moral' pressure from some quarters on the Government =
> increase it to 10% max but suppliers can meet their legal requirements
> purely with bio diesel, and don't want to be the first to go to 10% and g=
et
> bad publicity from complaints.  If the move against diesel gathers pace
> that may force their hands.
>
> The main problem with fuel hoses and everything else rubber here is the
> quality of the rubber itself.  I've always (30 years) run the roadster on
> high octane but the V8 (24 years) always on standard which has had ethano=
> at 5% max for 20 years now.  While 98 octane may not have contained ethan=
ol
> originally, suppliers tended to be cagey when asked directly, and others
> indicated that it varied according to where in the UK you bought it.  Fou=
> years ago I decided to replace the V8 pump hoses as the braiding was
> crumbling when it came to me so they were probably original - but as far =
as
> the rubber goes the old ones were in perfect condition.  I even slit a
> piece lengthwise and opened it out but there wasn't a trace of cracking.
> When I first got the V8 it didn't have any carb overflow hoses so I
> installed them, and they have had to be replaced since from severe cracki=
ng
> - and they don't even carry liquid fuel, only vapour.  I fitted non-braid=
ed
> so I can keep an eye on the external condition at least, but I have no
> doubt they won't last anywhere near as long as the originals.
>
> If standard here goes up to 10% - fortunately pumps are now required to b=
> labelled clearly on the pump as well as the nozzle itself - I'll run the =
V8
> on high octane as well, as that has been designated 'petrol protection
> grade' for older vehicles for the foreseeable future.
>
> PaulH.

increases the mixture&#39;s octane value. Of course, the quoted value on th=
e pump already takes this into account. Beyond that gem of useless knowledg=
e, I&#39;m close to lost.</div><div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0Petrol is a m=
ixture of hydrocarbons. We all know that. And Wikipedia can probably list t=
hem all in volume fraction order. But what is added today to increase the 8=
7 octane value, other than ethanol? It used to be TEL, or tetraethyllead, b=
ut those days are long gone. The skeptical and distrusting scientist in me =
wants to believe that petrol manufacturers are using the ethanol content to=
 elevate the effective octane rating thereby saving the other octane boosti=
ail_attr">On Mon, Oct 7, 2019, 3:11 AM PaulHunt73 via Mgs &lt;<a href=3D"ma=
uote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc =
solid;padding-left:1ex"><u></u>

oth=20
standard and high octanes.=C2=A0 There is &#39;moral&#39; pressure from som=
e quarters on=20
the Government to increase it to 10% max but suppliers can meet their legal=
=20
requirements purely with bio diesel, and=C2=A0don&#39;t want to be the firs=
t to go=20
to 10% and get bad publicity from complaints.=C2=A0 If the move against die=
sel=20
gathers pace that may force their hands.</font></div>
rubber=20
here is the quality of the rubber itself.=C2=A0 </font><font size=3D"2">I&#=
39;ve always=20
(30 years) run the roadster on high octane but the V8 (24 years) always on=
=20
standard which has=C2=A0had ethanol at 5% max for 20 years now.=C2=A0 While=
 98=20
octane may not have contained ethanol originally, suppliers tended to be ca=
gey=20
when asked directly, and others indicated that it varied according to where=
 in=20
the UK you bought it.=C2=A0 Four years ago I decided to replace the V8 pump=
=20
hoses as the braiding was crumbling when it came to me so they were probabl=
y=20
original=C2=A0-=C2=A0but as far as the rubber goes the old ones were in per=
fect=20
condition.=C2=A0 I even slit a piece lengthwise and opened it out but there=
=20
wasn&#39;t a trace of cracking.=C2=A0 When I first got the V8 it didn&#39;t=
 have any=20
carb overflow hoses so I installed them, and they have had to be replaced s=
ince=20
from severe cracking - and they don&#39;t even carry liquid fuel, only vapo=
ur.=C2=A0=20
I fitted non-braided so I can keep an eye on the external condition at leas=
t,=20
but I have no doubt they won&#39;t last anywhere near as long as the=20
originals.</font></div>
re now=20
required to be labelled clearly on the pump as well as the nozzle itself - =
I&#39;ll=20
run the V8 on high octane as well, as that has been designated &#39;petrol=
=20
protection grade&#39; for older vehicles for the foreseeable future.</font>=
-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px">
ILY:&#39;calibri&#39;,&#39;sans-serif&#39;;COLOR:#1f497d;FONT-SIZE:11pt">La=
st=20
  week 95 octane fuel has to be 10% bio-ethanol, which makes even post-mode=
rn=20
  cars vulnerable for this nasty fuel additive.</span></div>
PADDING-LEFT:1ex">
LOR:#1f497d;FONT-SIZE:11pt">So=20
    I=E2=80=99ll change the type of fuel for my mopeds to a special one. Th=
e BGT will=20
    get the 98 octane fuel, which contains 5%=20
Mgs@autox.team.net</a><br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs"; rel=3D"noreferrer no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/mgs</a> <a href=