Re: Distirbutor Wiring

To: "Simon & Donna" <sdaustin@shaw.ca>, "Jeff Howell" <howellmail@worldnet.att.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Distirbutor Wiring
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 09:07:56 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
It sounds to me more like a *late* (73 or later) tach, if there is a
white/black coming from the dashboard.  This sounds like the trigger wire to
the tach, and should go to the coil -ve i.e. the same terminal as the wire
from the points if you had points, which I think will be your Pertronix
black, the red going to the coil +ve.  Check the white carries 12v with the
ignition on, and if so that would also go to the coil +ve.  With the
white/black coming from the tach the white should come from the fusebox.
However if a later tach were fitted to an earlier car both white (original)
and white/black (PO added) wires would come from the tach

Early tachs routed the white ignition wire via the tach, but that is all
that came from the dashboard, the white black only went the short distance
from the coil -ve (the only wire on that terminal) and the distributor.  You
can tell whether you have the early or late tach by looking at the
face-plate, early types had an 'RVI' number and later ones an 'RVC' number.

PaulH.