Re: piston choice

To: CraigFaubel@aol.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: piston choice
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 20:00:46 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Craig,
I have found that Hypereutectic pistons are quite cheap, if it is not a custom order. They give you that extra bit of strength, and they don't expand, contract, and rock like forged ones do while they heat up. Think of how long many cars go with their original cast OEM pistons. 10 years or more. Usualy the piston is not what fails. Most cars are sold long before the internal components suffer irreperable damage. Usualy it is a bearing problem, and often that is to a gummed up oil system, not just material failure. Also, we are putting these engines in cars that are only 60% of the weight of the OEM cars. Take the T-5 transmission, for example. It is rated for an engine producing no more than ~300 Ft-lbs (depending on the year). But that rating is based on a 3600lb car. They actualy can handle much more torque in a 2100 lb car.
So stock pistons are actualy a safe bet in our little cars, and hypereutectic ones are great insurance, and can handle mild boost or nitrous (key word: mild) Forged are the strongest, cost twice as much, and will cost you torque on short drives because of all the blow-by before the piston fully expands (although some new alloys have a much lower Coefficient of Thermal Expansion).
I'm using the Ford 255 pistons (+0.030) in my Rover 3.9 stroked engine, as per the LaGrou recipe. I only bought cast ones because no one makes a stock hypereutectic replacment that isn't a custom order (key word: expensive). But all the ones I've seen for Ford 302/351 and SBC Chevy are very reasonably priced.
Best of Luck.
JJJ

CraigFaubel@aol.com wrote:

I will be tearing down my (still unused) 302 again for rebalancing, and while it's apart, I'm questioning my early choice of cast aluminum pistons. The car will see only a rare trip to a dragstrip just to see a timeslip, but it seems like asking for trouble with the cheap pistons. What thoughts or predudices are out there regarding cast vs hypereutectic vs forged?
The +0.040" engine has Edelbrock RPM heads and cam, alum intake with Holley 600 cfm, lots of port matching, block work, balancing (twice), align boring, etc., etc.,T5, and low numeric ratio rear end.