Piston Concerns

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Piston Concerns
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 16:38:07 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
All,
    I'm building my Rover 4.9L stroker with the Ford 255 pistons.  They
are Federal Mogul (silvolite) parts (no one else seems to make them) and
they are just cast aluminum.  Nobody makes a hypereutectic part # on a
production basis, so I'm stuck with the stock parts for now.
    I want to use Full Circle Gapless rings to get that extra few HP for
a relatively cheap investment.  Has anyone had any experience with them
with regular cast pistons?  My concern is as follows:  I've read all
over the place that stock cast pistons are typicaly good up to ~6000
rpm.  What seems to kill them is: knocking, head separation at a ring
groove over 6000 rpm, and supercharging or nitrous.  I'm wondering if
the extra pressure acting down on the piston due to the better sealing
would bring the piston significantly closer to its failure point?
 Empiricaly I doubt it, because if gapless rings produced as much of a
pressure (and therefore power) increase as turbocharging did, everyone
would be using them (only a few $ a ring, vs. a $2000 Roots compressor).
 Anyhow, I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had actualy done it.
Also, any ideas what a custom set of cast hypereutectic pistons would cost?

Thanks in advance!
W/R
James J