Re: Engine Breathing with a Rover 3.9

To: "Glenn" <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Breathing with a Rover 3.9
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 09:12:20 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn" <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>
To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 2:46 AM
Subject: Engine Breathing with a Rover 3.9

> The list has been really quiet lately, so I'll ask
> another question.
>
> I'm leaning towards my oil seepage being caused by an
> improperly plumbed breathing system.
>
> I'm using the stock 3.9 covers.  I have rotated them
> so that the oil filler is now on the passenger rear,
> and the old flame trap is now on the drivers rear.
> The passenger side cover also has a small pipe
> sticking up from the front with a very small ID and
> small filter on top.
>
> Here is what I'm currently doing:
>
> 1.  Removed old flame trap.
> 2.  Installed a pipe bushing to reduce hole diameter.
> 3.  Installed a chrome breather (just an elbow with
> some sponge material)into the bushing.
> 4.  The outlet of the breather is plumbed to the
> bottom of the air cleaner.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1.  Would installing a PCV valve help?  If yes, which
> port on the Edelbrock should it be run to?  If my
> memory serves me correctly, the port on the left (when
> facing the carb) is currently plumbed to my vacuum
> advance.

Unlikely, as long as your carb has the proper restricted vacuum port for the
job.  The PCV was used on the 4-cylinder Bs because it was using full inlet
manifold vacuum, it was deleted when the vacuum source was moved to the
carbs.  The vacuum advance normally uses the port that is shut off when the
throttle is closed, the breather uses the port that has vacuum all the time.

> 2.  Should I remove the little black cap and sponge on
> the passenger side, and make the ID of the pipe
> slightly larger?

The factory twin-carb set-up had the carbs plumbed via flame traps to ports
on the covers about mid-way along their inner face.  There is a port on the
rear face of the block connected to what looks like a fuel filter which
stops dirt being drawn into the engine.  The carbs suck on both covers and
throufgh the filter on the back of the block.  If you only have one carb
port plumbing it to one cover and having a filter in the other is the way to
go, make sure any port on the back is capped off.

> 3.  Does it matter which side (front or back) the
> flame trap / breather cap / PCV valve is on?  Could I
> have caused breathing problems by turning the covers
> around?

I doubt it.  The flame trap should be between carb and engine.