RE: Body work

To: "Jim Stuart" <vze3swyy@verizon.net>, "'Simon Green'" <sgreen@eurobell.net>, "'MGB Newsgroup \(E-mail\)'" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Body work
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 12:08:43 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Simon,

I had extensive repair work on my MGB GT.  It cost Cdn$5,700 which is
roughly $3,700 in that funny old fashioned green stuff.  It included
new door skins
new boot floor
new floors
repairs to tunnel
repairs to bulkhead
wings cut for through-exhaust
front wing repaired
headlight surrounds rebuilt (bondo-ed after a prang)
sills & doglegs rewelded
modified to take Rover V8 (engine mounts & bulkhead)
steering column hole modified
whole rear quarter fitted
half rear quarter fitted
battery boxes rebuilt
repair hood front lip

On top of this was the cost of the quarter panels which I got thought the
list for US$200.  All other panels were included - all were top qulaity or
"delux" versions
The work was "museum"" standard as all welds were ground flat.  Now it is
painted you cannot see where the new metal was put in !!

At 06:23 PM 8/23/02 -0400, Jim Stuart wrote:
>If that price is in Pounds, it is $3800.00 USD, and you say the price is
>plus paint & VAT?
>
>A half fender is around $250.00 here, or less ($99.00 for the Asian
>version). I would estimate $250-$300.00 per side at a good body shop to cut
>away the old & MIG weld in the new, shoot with primer. That would be the
>Washington, DC area of the USA, not a particularly low cost of living area.
>

>Jim Stuart
>
>Reply to <jimbb88@usa.com>

Regards
Barrie