Re: Air Filter Clearance

To: Bruce <brucemills@dccnet.com>
Subject: Re: Air Filter Clearance
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:43:31 -0600
Cc: MGB Newsgroup <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Bruce,

That was me that posted the message about massaging your air cleaner.  I too
used
the Mr. Gasket air cleaner.  Essentially I flipped the base over and placed it
on
a smooth piece of metal (I used a spare MGB engine backplate) - the "doughnut"
around the carb inlet hole (essentially the dropped portion of the air cleaner)
will be resting on the metal (wood might work too, but you want to make sure
that
the metal of the air cleaner doughnut can slide on whatever you place it on as
you press the carb inlet hole in to the air cleaner base)..  You then place a
metal disc (I used a TR6 flywheel - the convex part was just the right size) on
the air cleaner carb inlet hole (wood would probably work here also), and using
hydraulic press (a bottle jack should work also as long as you jack it against
something solid (like a car bumper - this doesn't take much force)) press the
air
cleaner carb inlet hole in to the base of the air cleaner.  I probably gained
1/2-inch or so this way and there seems to be plenty of room inside the air
cleaner for air to flow (certainly a lot more area than there is in the stock
Buick 215 4bbl air cleaner intake horn!).  After I pressed it in a little, I
then
used the press to press down a little more on one half of the carb inlet hole so
that the air cleaner tilts forward a little (though you tell can't from looking
at it) to gain another quarter inch or so at the critical forward edge of the
air
cleaner.  The air cleaner now fits easily (even when I dropped the hood last
week
- though the part of the hood over the radiator (that I had just moved ahead two
inches) didn't fair so well!), though I did have to remove a 1/4-inch by 3-inch
piece of the flange at the rear of the hood cross brace to make sure that it
wouldn't hit the air cleaner.

Kevin Brown