RE: Braking & handling

To: "Frank van Dalen" <frank.vandalen@fae.storkgroup.com>
Subject: RE: Braking & handling
From: "Adrian Akhurst" <mgadel@senet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 19:07:36 +1030
Cc: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Dear Frank

I really think you are courting disaster by not addressing the front brakes
adequately, even 4 cylinder cars will get the front brakes smoking hot on a
circuit with moderate usage, so unless you plan to be very gentle on the
brakes (and the road you describe is not!) please consider something better.
I refuse to build V8 engined cars without upgrading the rotors and
callipers, simply a safety issue. It sounds like a sales pitch but I can
supply a bolt on kit that we manufacture, Vented Rotor and 4 spot calliper,
the difference in stopping power is astounding.

As far as the front end is concerned, yes a heavier sway bar is the way to
go 20 or 22mm will suffice, and the coil over tube shocks and replacement
upper arm will work fine, use urethane bushings throughout, and set it up
with some negative camber, the longer lower arms are the easiest way.

With the rear suspension, why are you staying with the lever arm shockers
when you are suggesting you will put tubes on the front, there are two
alternatives, Koni do a kit for the rear, and I also can supply a gas tube
shocker conversion kit which we integrate with a tramp rod kit if you want.
The other thing you ought to consider is a panhard rod to locate the rear
axle, this will make the turns much more precise as the springs don't have
to load up laterally before you start turning. If I gather you have fitted
lowering blocks I must pass negative comment here as this approach destroys
the geometry, get the eyes of the main leafs rolled the other way and get as
much curvature back into the spring as possible, I agree you may want to
lower the car but the spring will not work if it is not curved.

I hope you have dealt with your wheels and tyres, up to 7" can be fitted
under a virtually standard car, I run a 205 x 50 x 16 tyre on a 7" rim which
gives excellent support.

I hope this helps.

Regards Adrian