Re: Fuel pump requirements

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump requirements
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 18:58:05 -0500
Cc: DANMAS@aol.com, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Correction-  my problems at top end were with the stock MGB SU pump. Flipping
the switch to the little noisy square thing solved the
problem, even though it was the low pressure item.

I think Dan is right on. The stock MGB SU pump is fine for every day use up to
& including a mildly modified 4.2, in my experience.
Sustained high speed- over 110 mph is unknown, but the SU will handle at least
short runs at over 130 mph. It will not handle wide open
throttle over, say, 85 mph.  The forgoing is based upon personal experience
with a 215 & 4.2, & is limited to that. I known nothing
about larger or hotter engines. I have heard people say they like the Holley
"red" pump, whatever that is.

Jim Stuart